Lagos is a municipality at the mouth of Bensafrim River and along the Atlantic Ocean, in the Barlavento region of the Algarve, in southern Portugal. Lagos is one of the most visited cities in the Algarve and Portugal, due to its variety of tourist-friendly beaches, bars, restaurants, and hotels, renowned for its vibrant summer nightlife and parties. Yet, Lagos is also a historic centre of the Portuguese Age of Discovery, frequent home of Henry the Navigator, historical shipyard and, at one time, centre of the European slave trade. In 2012, travel website TripAdvisor, classified Lagos as the number 1 travel destination, on a list of "15 destinations on the rise" worldwide.
- Meia Praia (Half Beach) —the most popular tourist beach, consisting of soft, white sand, Meia Praia is one of the largest open bays in Europe, resulting in calm seas, permitting conditions for many nautical sports, while cliffs provide sheltered coves from strong windy conditions;
- Praia Solaria (Sunny Beach);
- Praia da Batata (Potato Beach) — a small beach tucked between two small cliffs (where the river meets the Atlantic Ocean), it is known for the small music festivals that take place there during summer;
- Praia dos Estudantes (Students' Beach);
- Praia da Dona Ana (Dona Ana Beach) -its areal is slightly thicker than the beaches in the surrounding area and it is surrounded by striking rock formations. At high tide the beach is split by the geomorphology of the cliffs;
- Praia do Canavial (Canavial Beach);
- Praia de Camilo (Camilo Beach);
- Praia da Luz (Beach of Light) - located in the parish of Luz, the beach is bounded in the east by Rocha Negra (English: Black Rock), providing summer vactioners with a popular escape during the summer.
- If you want a different experience you should pay a visit to another beach on the Algarve like for example Albufeira. You'll find lots of portuguese women on the many beaches. If you are looking especially for Algarve women than you should go at night, you'll meet this girls in bars and clubs.
Many local traditions are celebrated in the municipality and range from gastronomy to traditional handicrafts. In gastronomy, there are the local specialties: Dom rodrigos and morgados cookies based on local products, such as almonds, figs and eggs. Lagos is also a wine producing region and is famous for its moscatel wine, and also for a strong alcoholic spirit, the aguardente de medronho, made of berries of strawberry tree.
One of the more popular events in Lagos are the Dolphin Tours, with 3 different companies offering tours to see dolphins. Whilst you might be unlucky and not see a dolphin, it's still worth it if you've ever wanted a ride on a high powered boat. All 3 of the companies are based in the Lagos Marina.
- Sea kayaks can be rented during the summer from quite a few different locations.
- Boat tours of the grottos leave from the harbour, and cost €10 per person.
Where to drink
Lagos bars are quite fun, catering to the young back-packing crowds. Often one can find a Brit or American helping to serve drinks (for a little under the table wage). For a drink what packs a punch, try the traditional Algarve drink, Medronho, better known as fire water, another Algarve drink is the almond liqueur, delicious after a big meal!
Bars and clubs Lagos
- Three Monkeys Bar. A big favorite in Lagos, this bar is all about fun. Great music from resident DJ Minty and wild drinks. Address: Rua Lançarote de Freitas 26.
- The Jam Bar. This funky little bar sits between the Three Monkeys and Phoenix Nights. Address: Rua Lançarote de Freitas 30
- Whyte's Bar. This bar can be really wild offering pints of cocktails, beer bongs and the infamous 9 deadly sins shot challenge. Address: Rua do Ferrador 7
- Casa Rosa. Get Stuffed! Down at the New Look Casa Rosa that is. Always popular with travelers, they have a great menu full of fantastic food at very affordable prices. Adress: Rua do Ferrador 22
- Joe's Garage. People come to Joe's at the weekend by the coach full. This bar is a non-stop party. With games and wild drinks. Address: Rua 1 de Maio
- Nahnahbah. s a cool, chilled out bar, a great place to hang out with friends. Sofas and chairs add to the comfort amidst the artistic decor. Adress: Travessa do Forno 11
- Bahia Beach Bar. Sitting on the beautiful Meia Praia Beach this stylish beach bar is a great place to relax and enjoy a drink or some delicious food. Addres: Meia Praia Beach
- InsideOut Bar. Go early to enjoy drink specials, a game of pool or one of their legendary fishbowls. Watch as this bar/lounge transforms into an all night dance party. Address: Rua Candido dos Reis
- The Tavern. This Lagos Bar is lots of fun. Spacious with room to dance and party. Laybacks, Beer Bongs, Pool and Darts. Address: Rua Lançarote de Freitas
- RedEye Bar. RedEye bar is a popular watering hole open from 8 till 2am. Cool place to hang out early play pool, darts or watch sky sports.. Address: Rua Candido dos Reis